The 10 Things Every Dog Owners Needs At Home
You love your dog. You love your house. Here’s what you need for to keep them both at their best
1. Something more fun to chew than the sofa. Great-looking dog toys don’t just mean a happy pup; they mean a untouched sofa and rug.
2. Dog Art. Chances are you already have a great portrait of your beloved pet—why not give it pride of place on the mantle or as part of your gallery wall?
3. Dog-proof trash in every room. Try one with butterfly doors and spare yourself the horror of coming home to trash everywhere.
4. Pet-friendly upholstery. You might think white is the craziest choice you could make, but durable white slipcovers are easy to wash and can hold up well through multiple washes.
5. A “messy dog” station. It should be well-stocked and well-placed—a wash basin with a basket filled with super absorbent towels, wipes, clean-up bags, dry shampoo, and anything else you need to keep you pup looking his best.
6. A faux fur throw. It has design cred, protects your furniture, and makes for a perfect place for your pup to drift off to sleep. Bonus: Dog hair will blend in so no need to be militant about washing.
7. An accessory that lets guests know dog lovers live here…even at times when the dog’s in the other room. Kelly Wearstler’s engraved dog bone, in solid brass, is a favorite of Safford’s.
8. The perfect spot for the dog bowl. Safford is seeing some of her clients build custom bowl-holders into the kitchen island—no matter what, it’s important that the water bowl is in an area where it will not be kicked over.
9. A prime napping spot…preferably in the sunniest place in the room. If dogs could talk yours would say “Thank you I love you!!”
10. A scented candle you love. Because no matter how much you love your dog, chances are this will smell better.