Rose Garden: 5 Easy Steps To Growing
Ever dreamed of starting your own rose garden? Here’s how.
Now that spring is upon us, we are in full-on gardening mode. So when Hometalk, a home and garden online community, shared their tips for creating a flourishing rose garden, we couldn’t wait to get our hands dirty. Novice gardeners, don’t be intimidated! These tips are easy enough for beginners to tackle. Read on to see what steps you need to create your own beautiful rose garden with amazing blooms.
1. Choose your plants wisely. Make sure the rose bush you want to plant already has at least one blooming rose. This way, you are already aware of the petal color and that the rose bush will be fragrant and this will ensure that your rose garden will look they way you want it to. Look into buying low-maintenance roses that will not require a lot of upkeep. For instance, climbing roses tend to sprawl and produce many blooms, so you will be spared the need to prune your rose bushes regularly. Climbing roses are a perfect accent to any rose garden.
2. Build your own trellis. Building your own trellis is far less daunting—and less pricey—than it seems! Whether it’s wood, wire, or something else, choose a material that will work with the aesthetic of your garden.
3. Create the right structure. Plant your rose trellises at an angle and leave an area in the center for a fountain or bench so you’re left enough room to enjoy the fragrant flowers. Also, be sure to plant your roses at a distance from any trails or walkways in your rose garden, so the thorns don’t snag you as you walk by. Safety is a big concern when building a thorny garden.
4. Prepare the rose garden site. Planting roses takes a lot of preparation. When digging the hole, make sure it is about two times wider than your plant’s root ball, but about the same height. Roses are quite particular about space, lighting and water conditions so read the instructions carefully.
5. Pick a sunny spot. Roses do best in full sun, in well-drained, organically rich soil. It’s also a great idea to add some type of fertilizer or plant food in with the soil. I like to use peat moss. However, there are plenty of options to choose from. A rose needs good soil to give your great blooms. Do a little research if you are unsure of soil conditions.
Once you have picked out a sunny spot you can start planting. Gardening is a lot like trial and error. If your garden doesn’t take off at first try again. You will get the hang of it. Here is a good Youtube video on rose gardens.
For more home decoration tips check out this great article: